One of the easiest & best ways to kick off your personal journey to health is to start “eating clean.” What does “eating clean” really mean? Below are 10 EASY guidelines to follow that will help you navigate through the grocery store and create a new clean eating lifestyle!
- Eat Real – If it can grow out of the ground or be raised on a farm, it’s clean food.
- Just One – If a food has only one ingredient, it’s clean food.
- Eat Naked – Think foods that don’t come in “packages” – if it is something that can be bought from the butcher or seafood counter, fruits, vegetables, grains & beans you can buy in bulk; it’s clean food.
- Organic – When you can and/or there is a little price difference, go organic. This ensures you are getting the cleanest version of food possible.
- Pronounceable – Can you read all the ingredients? If not, it’s probably not clean.
- Prioritize Plants – Vegetables are some of the most nutrient rich foods, eat as much as possible daily!
- Eliminate White – Avoid sugar in its many “disguises.” Look for foods with only natural sugars & sweeteners; like maple syrup, honey, or agave.
- Home Cook – Cooking at home allows you to control the quality of food you are eating. Incorporate as much home cooking as possible; you would be surprised to what ingredients restaurants sneak into “healthy dishes.”
- Focus on YOU – Forget what the media is saying and listen to your body! As long as you are eating clean foods 80% of the time, choose what “diet/way of eating” is right for you.
- ENJOY – Enjoy every bite of your food, really I mean it! Clean eating is about discovering how delicious real foods can be. Experiment with new recipes and if you don’t like it, don’t force yourself to eat it.
adapted from prevention.com
Happy Monday Everyone!
I have some news to share with all of my readers..
Justin and I are moving to Minneapolis, Minnesota at the end of this summer! Justin took a great job opportunity within Boston Scientific, so we are both relocating to our office there. I am very sad to be leaving all of you in the Boston area (don’t worry, I will be back often) but very excited to explore a new city of fitness studios and juice bars 🙂 Nothing will change here; you will still get a weekly health and wellness related blog and now I will get to share with you some new concepts and culture from MN!
Thank you to everyone who is supporting us in this move 🙂
What is better than some warm banana bread right out of the oven? Today I am sharing a new recipe I recently tested out for some delicious banana bread… it might just happen to be healthy version (of course) and paleo friendly! The recipe is very easy and takes minutes to prepare…
Paleo Banana Bread
3/4 cup of almond flour
1/4 cup of coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 large eggs
2 very ripe medium to large bananas, mashed
1/4 cup of honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
optional: chocolate chips, blueberries, walnuts/pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray/line a small bread baking pan and/or muffin tins with coconut oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix well
- Pour the batter into your baking pan/muffin tins
- Top with crumbled walnuts (optional)
- Bake in the over for 15 minutes or until golden brown 🙂
Happy Monday! I wanted to share my favorite anti-inflammatory green smoothie recipe that leaves me feeling detoxed, replenished, and energized; what better way to start your week?!
What I love most about this smoothie is that it does not deprive you of any nutrients or calories; it is a complete meal with both protein and healthy fats to keep you full and feeling great. The recipe calls for turmeric, a spice which contains a compound called, curcumin, which is the most powerful anti-inflammatory compound in the world! Studies have shown that turmeric has properties for fighting all sorts of medical issues even better than some prescription drugs. Adding turmeric into your diet is easy to do and a huge win!
Anti-Inflammatory Green Smoothie
2-3 handfuls of kale/spinach
1 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup mango
1/2 avocado (optional)*
1/2 tsp of ginger
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp maca powder (optional)*
1-2 scoops of all natural plant protein powder (recommend vanilla/vanilla chai flavor)
2-3 tbs of hemp seeds, flax seeds or chia seeds (or a combination of two)
*two optional ingredients that have GREAT health benefits:
Avocado: is a great addition to your morning smoothie because of its nutrients and healthy fat content. Dr Lipman suggests having 1/2 avocado daily with breakfast for sustained energy and fullness. It adds an amazing creamy texture to your smoothie as well!
Maca Powder: is a great superfood that is known to boost energy, libido, improve skin & hair and even balance hormones. It adds a great strong flavor that compliments the ginger and turmeric as well.
Fill up your blender with all of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
Portion into a glass and enjoy! 🙂