I quite often here that breakfast is one of the hardest meals of the day for people on the go. This week I am sharing an easy and super quick recipe that you make the night before and simply grab and go in the morning. Not to mention, this recipe is delicious and full of great nutrients to kick start your day!
Banana Almond Butter Chia Pudding
1/4 cup chia seeds
2 Tbsp almond butter
1 ripe banana
1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
Blend the banana, almond butter and almond milk until creamy & smooth,
Combine the chia seeds and blender mixture in a small mason jar or other small container
Store in the fridge overnight
In the morning, top with fresh berries, shredded coconut and nuts for an amazing breakfast!
Happy Monday! I wanted to share my favorite anti-inflammatory green smoothie recipe that leaves me feeling detoxed, replenished, and energized; what better way to start your week?!
What I love most about this smoothie is that it does not deprive you of any nutrients or calories; it is a complete meal with both protein and healthy fats to keep you full and feeling great. The recipe calls for turmeric, a spice which contains a compound called, curcumin, which is the most powerful anti-inflammatory compound in the world! Studies have shown that turmeric has properties for fighting all sorts of medical issues even better than some prescription drugs. Adding turmeric into your diet is easy to do and a huge win!
Anti-Inflammatory Green Smoothie
2-3 handfuls of kale/spinach
1 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup mango
1/2 avocado (optional)*
1/2 tsp of ginger
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp maca powder (optional)*
1-2 scoops of all natural plant protein powder (recommend vanilla/vanilla chai flavor)
2-3 tbs of hemp seeds, flax seeds or chia seeds (or a combination of two)
*two optional ingredients that have GREAT health benefits:
Avocado: is a great addition to your morning smoothie because of its nutrients and healthy fat content. Dr Lipman suggests having 1/2 avocado daily with breakfast for sustained energy and fullness. It adds an amazing creamy texture to your smoothie as well!
Maca Powder: is a great superfood that is known to boost energy, libido, improve skin & hair and even balance hormones. It adds a great strong flavor that compliments the ginger and turmeric as well.
Fill up your blender with all of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
Portion into a glass and enjoy! 🙂
On a mission to find new vegetable side dish ideas, and a little inspiration from a pizza date night, I came up with a new fan favorite in our house; Balsamic Roasted Eggplant & Tomatoes. This dish is SO easy to make, super healthy, is filling, requires minimal ingredients, and packs tons of flavor…can it get any better than that?
Balsamic Roasted Eggplant & Tomatoes
1 medium size eggplant
½ package of cherry tomatoes halved
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the eggplant into a bunch of round slices and lay flat on a sprayed baking sheet then top with the halved cherry tomatoes
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Brush the mixture on top of the eggplant and tomato slices then sprinkle with garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown
Serve and Enjoy 🙂
I was given the opportunity by Well & Good NYC to try out many flavors of Suja Juices over a three week period. I was shipped a LARGE box filled to the brim with a wide variety of their juices; everything from their classic green juice to their new probiotic drinks. An editor from Well & Good got to know me before I began this trial, and then periodically checked in until I was finished. I finished my final interview and was told that my experience would be featured on the site real soon..but that wasn’t the case and it is most likely because of my honest thoughts which I wanted to share with everyone..
- I did feel more energized & was able to ditch my second cup of coffee without any bad side effects
- Incorporating an afternoon juice instantly boosted my mood and allowed me to curb any snack cravings until it was time for dinner
- SUGAR – my final observation was very shocking; each of these juices contained anywhere between 6 to over 40 grams of sugar!! 40 grams of sugar! I couldn’t believe it, and because of these high amounts, I avoided certain flavors or diluted them by adding water and only consuming half a bottle at a time. This allowed me to maximize my time with the juices and keep my sugar intake to a minimum.
Overall, I really thought the experience was positive and quickly showed a lot of the great benefits of juicing. However, I think it was an eye opening experience as well, and reiterates the need for everyone to check the labels of “health foods” before purchasing and/or consuming them.
Favorite Suja Juices:
Uber Greens http://www.sujajuice.com/products/suja/uber-greens/
Daybreak Probiotic http://www.sujajuice.com/products/suja/daybreak-probiotic/