So many of my clients and followers ask me about supplements; there are so many supplements out there to take; so how do you know which are right for you?
Supplements are a great tool for boosting your overall health since they are a quick and easy way to add essential vitamins and minerals to our diet…
Supplements are also great for coping with illness and speeding up recovery..
So what’s the catch?
Not all supplements are made the same way and not everyone needs supplements. I highly suggest talking with your doctor about what supplements are right for you, if any at all!
Most vitamins are manufactured in bulk and unfortunately contain additives and fillers. I recommend doing some research before buying vitamins and not being afraid to spend a little more money on something so important to your health.
Okay so how do you know if you need supplements?
If you eat a relatively healthy diet most of the time you are probably getting the essential vitamins and minerals – it can’t hurt to take a multivitamin but you might not need to. To determine what other supplements your body needs my first advice would be to start listening to it. Journal your emotional and physical feelings each day for a week or two; scribble down when you feel tired, weak, have a breakout, etc and then talk to your doctor to see if you are deficient of any key nutrients.
As a health coach, I personally take and recommend the following supplements for everyone daily:
- Probiotics are SO important – these days a good amount of our food is processed or contains hidden additives and even if you eat really clean now, you probably grew up eating macaroni and cheese, pizza, pop tarts, etc. All of this takes a toll on your gut and you might not even realize it. Taking a probiotic truly cleans up your insides and regulates your body again. Trust me on this one – give it a week and you will notice a difference!
My favorite = Garden of Life RAW Probiotic Line
Vitamin D (only in the winter months)
- Sunshine truly makes you happy, am I right? Well in the late fall and winter months your body rarely sees the sun which is a huge source of vitamin D for your body. Taking a Vitamin D supplement in the winter is an easy fix to keep your body feeling great, positive, and you bet, happier. My favorite brand is Garden of Life – they make both a pill and spray.
Vitamin C (during cold season and especially when you have a cold coming on)
- This one is a no brainer! Vitamin C is the best choice when you are trying to avoid, prevent, or cope with a cold or illness. Eating foods rich in Vitamin C is always the first choice but adding in a Vitamin C supplement during the flu and cold season really gives your immune system a boost and decreases the likelihood of catching the next gross virus floating around town. My favorite brand is Garden of Life – they make both a pill and spray.
Protein & Collagen Peptides
- Protein supplements are great if used on occasion and are all natural, no additive products. Protein drinks, smoothies, etc are amazing for post workout snacks and meals. When it comes to Protein I LOVE Garden of Life products, Naked products, and Vital Proteins.
- Collagen Peptides – what are they? Collagen Peptides are short chain amino acids naturally derived from pasture-raised, grass-fed collagen protein. Collagen peptides contain the same amino acids as gelatin which are identical to the protein found in skin, nails, hair, bones, cartilage, and joints – meaning all of these areas of the body benefit wonderfully from adding these amino acids into your diet. Vital Proteins products are the best and have products that combine protein with the collagen peptides – making it a two in one practical product
My Favorite = Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides