This past Sunday was Inner Strength Studios Grand Opening in Sudbury, MA. This is their second location; their first is in Watertown, MA. The studio is located in a relatively new business complex with lots of parking and right next door to the restaurant, 29 Sudbury (perfect for post yoga cocktails). I have always told myself that I should add yoga into my weekly workout routine, but when it comes to spending more money on additional studio packages, I always back out. Yoga has a beautiful way of working your body in ways you don’t realize you are capable of, all while giving you an hour + of complete relaxation. Yoga works wonders when dealing with stress; something I struggle with constantly. Anyways, I was super excited to see that Inner Strength was opening in Sudbury because we are lacking good yoga studios in this area outside of Boston; and this location is halfway from my office to home which really makes it a home run.
Sunday I attended their 1 hr of warm gentle yoga and quickly fell in love. The place is simple, clean, relaxing and filled with extremely nice staff. The studio owner, Roman, is a wealth of knowledge and is so accommodating and welcoming. He immediately makes you feel a part of the Inner Strength family. This class in particular hit on all the yoga basics in a heated room; not too hot, but enough to have me dripping sweat. As a new student, I took advantage of their one week of free yoga and since have gone back every night after work to do their classic power hour class. This class was a little more advanced and difficult (at least for me as a beginner yogi). Finally, last night I took their 75 minute hot yoga class which was the perfect ending to a long week. I was drenched in sweat and totally zenned out when I opened my eyes from savasana.
Lets just say I am hooked and already purchased a class pack to continue on this new yogi journey of mine. I highly recommend checking this studio out if you are in the area; they have an amazing group of instructors and some great new client specials to take advantage of!
check out their site and information here: http://www.innerstrengthstudios.com/
Okay so I finally “found my soul” at Soul Cycle Chestnut hill this past long weekend. It really took me forever to finally get myself to check it out, probably because of the price tag…but thanks to a little new year’s special they were running, I got to go ride for free.
So what did I think?
I truly loved it. The energy in the class is on another level that you really can’t describe. The studio packs in 55 bikes (which are always sold out) bringing serious motivation and good vibes to the 45 minute class. Something really cool that Soul Cycle prides itself on, is community, and they choreograph the class so everyone is working together; no competition. The class is a mix of sprint intervals, hill climbs, weight exercises and of course lots of bike dancing leaving you drenched in sweat. Another unique aspect of Soul Cycle that really differentiates them from other spin classes is how there is a “spiritual” aspect to the class. All the instructors set intentions at the beginning of class, preach them mid class, and end class with a deep yoga breath and mantra.
To sum it up, I drank the soul cycle “kool aid” for sure but still can’t justify the experience for the price, given there are so many other great similar spin options…I highly recommend everyone giving it a try, you can take your first class at a “discount” and then after that decide if you can dish out that kind of dough…
I have been intending on getting into a more routine yoga practice, but always push it to the side in my priorities when exploring new classes and studios. I was informed of a newish studio in Wayland called Lotus that has both spin and yoga classes so I decided to give it a go. I attended the 6-7pm Yoga Hour which is a vinyasa based flow – perfect for all levels and beginners 😉
First off, this little studio hidden in Wayland, MA is so cute and zen. It has two small rooms – one for yoga and one for spin. The décor is all in natural tones and covered with reiki and yoga symbols making you immediately feel relaxed upon walking into the lobby. Okay okay – to the class..
Yoga Flow was an hour long class that focused on form and the breath. Holly, my instructor, was so informative about positioning all while keeping us in a meditated and relaxed state during the class. She had the perfect balance of serious but also embracing the imperfections that come with practicing yoga. She transitioned through two different flows and ended the class with some bridge work and an amazing shavasana. I left the class feeling totally refreshed and calm. I am excited to have found this little studio and cannot wait to continue my yoga practice and try out their spin class (with the Real Ryder bikes) very soon!
If you are local, I highly recommend checking this studio out!
Schedule is here: http://lotusstudiosyogacycle.com/schedule/
The holidays are my favorite time of year but can also be a time of high stress for many people. You are constantly busy with holiday shopping, decorating, and hosting/attending party after party. This time of year is well known for throwing your health priorities to the curb, but I am here to help! Here are 5 easy ways to help you refocus and still enjoy the holiday season!
- Do NOT starve yourself
- It is so common that when you know you have an event or party to attend that night and you will eat “bad” and have a few cocktails, you starve yourself in preparation – you use that “save the calories” mentality ( I used to be one of them). However, this is the WORST thing you can do to your body – it will actually have a reverse effect and cause you to feel less than average the following day. The best way to approach these parties is by having very nutrient high meals throughout the day – big vegetable/protein salads, greek yogurts, smoothies and nuts. I even suggest eating right before you go to the party! Have a small snack or even a salad – this will prevent you from grabbing some of the small appetizers you wouldn’t normally have just because you are hungry.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
- The best way to feel good going into a party as well as the next day is by being very hydrated. Drink lots of water the day of – and a glass or two while you are at the party, or at least on your way home (throw a water bottle in your car for after)! This will allow your body to have more energy, be able to digest easier, and keep you mentally on your game.
- Mindful Eating
- Eat without distractions – try to find a nice place to sit down at the party while you are eating so you can really enjoy every bite – there’s no need to stand up and pop things down your throat – what’s the satisfaction there?
- Eat slow and stop when you are full – you might feel overwhelmed with the wide variety of foods at a party and over indulge but try to take small portions from the buffet line, eat, and then really reassess before going back up. You would be surprised how quickly you might feel full and can pass on having seconds.
- Seek Healthier Options – but DON’T deprive yourself
- Of course as a health coach and healthy eater myself you might expect me to tell you to head right towards the veggie platter – of course that would be ideal but you have to enjoy yourself and let yourself indulge in some holiday foods you don’t normally get day to day. My advice would be to think about the food a little before you grab it – is this a food you really still enjoy? Or is it the thought of it? – you might find that some of those childhood foods don’t really satisfy your taste buds anymore and might gravitate towards something new.
Okay last but definitely not least,
- NO GUILT – this is definitely the hardest but is the most important. You might immediately feel guilty or discouraged after (or even before) you eat something that you might deem as “unhealthy” or “bad” but try to let it go. Think about the taste, feeling you got from eating it, experience or connection with those around you and then reset the next day. Plan a healthy breakfast or go for a short walk. One night is not going to change you!!
I hope these five tips help you get through the holiday season a little easier – if you are interested in learning more and getting detailed coaching tips and ideas to help you make healthier choices, set up a free consultation with me. I am excited to help you navigate through the festivities with confidence and ease!
Click here to sign up for your free first session!