One of the easiest & best ways to kick off your personal journey to health is to start “eating clean.” What does “eating clean” really mean? Below are 10 EASY guidelines to follow that will help you navigate through the grocery store and create a new clean eating lifestyle!
- Eat Real – If it can grow out of the ground or be raised on a farm, it’s clean food.
- Just One – If a food has only one ingredient, it’s clean food.
- Eat Naked – Think foods that don’t come in “packages” – if it is something that can be bought from the butcher or seafood counter, fruits, vegetables, grains & beans you can buy in bulk; it’s clean food.
- Organic – When you can and/or there is a little price difference, go organic. This ensures you are getting the cleanest version of food possible.
- Pronounceable – Can you read all the ingredients? If not, it’s probably not clean.
- Prioritize Plants – Vegetables are some of the most nutrient rich foods, eat as much as possible daily!
- Eliminate White – Avoid sugar in its many “disguises.” Look for foods with only natural sugars & sweeteners; like maple syrup, honey, or agave.
- Home Cook – Cooking at home allows you to control the quality of food you are eating. Incorporate as much home cooking as possible; you would be surprised to what ingredients restaurants sneak into “healthy dishes.”
- Focus on YOU – Forget what the media is saying and listen to your body! As long as you are eating clean foods 80% of the time, choose what “diet/way of eating” is right for you.
- ENJOY – Enjoy every bite of your food, really I mean it! Clean eating is about discovering how delicious real foods can be. Experiment with new recipes and if you don’t like it, don’t force yourself to eat it.
adapted from prevention.com