August is prime time to make a trip to your local farmers market to get fresh vegetables and fruit during a New England summer. My two favorite August finds are fresh sweet corn and big juicy heirloom tomatoes. Here are two quick different appetizers and/or side dishes using these ingredients to try out in your final weekends of summer. Both recipes are quick & easy and I promise they will be fan favorites!
Roasted Pesto Tomatoes
2-3 heirloom tomatoes
Pesto (1/2 cup) – I prefer a basil pesto
Shredded Parmesan cheese (or whichever cheese you prefer)
1. Preheat oven to broil setting.
2. Prepare a baking sheet with tinfoil and spray with olive oil.
3. Slice your tomatoes into ½ inch thick slices and lay on the baking sheet.
4. Top each tomato with a teaspoon of pesto – spread evenly.
5. Sprinkle cheese of choice on top of each slice.
6. Broil in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown & crispy.
7. Serve alone or on top of greens and enjoy : )
Roasted Corn Salad
1 bag of arugula
1 sweet or red onion
2-3 pieces of corn
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare baking sheet with tin foil and spray with olive oil.
2. Chop your onion into long slices and cut the corn of the cob. Add both of these to the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
3. Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until onions are caramelized and corn is roasted golden brown.
4. Add arugula to large bowl. Once cool, add the onions and corn and top with parmesan cheese.
5. Toss salad with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice to taste and enjoy : )
Leave a Reply