Snacks are always one of the biggest struggles for people who try to eat healthy and/or are looking to lose weight. Here is an easy and very satisfying snack that can also be used as an appetizer with friends & family. This recipe contains two of my favorite foods that have amazing nutritional value; beets & sweet potatoes.
Health Benefits of Beets:
1. FULL of vitamins & minerals: high in vitamin C, fiber, and potassium just to name a few.
2. Detoxifying: contain betalin pigments which break down toxins in your blood and liver.
3. Anti-Inflammatory: contain a nutrient called betaine which helps protects cells from environmental stress, help fight inflammation, and protect internal organs.
4. Lower your blood pressure (literally, instantly): the occurring nitrates in beets are converted into nitric oxide when digested which helps to relax and dilate your blood vessels, improving blood flow and lowering blood pressure.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
1. Fat free, low sodium and much lower in calories than a white potato
2. Great source of fiber and work well to aid in digestion problems.
3. Packed with vitamins & minerals: Large source of potassium, magnesium, iron, vitmains A, B6 and C just to name a few.
4. Great source of beta beta carotene and other carotenoids. These help strengthen eyesight and boost our immunity to disease. They are also known to help fight off cancer as well as protect us from the effects of aging.
5. Great source of natural sugars. These sugars are released slowly into the body during digestion which allows the body to have a great balanced energy and work to regulate blood sugar levels.
Beet & Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Peel your beets and sweet potatoes to remove skin if you wish
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife cut the beets and sweet potatoes into small slices
- Sometimes it is easier to boil your beets/sweet potatoes for a few minutes to soften them before cutting if you do not have good utensils
- Spray a lined baking sheet with coconut or olive oil and place each slice down with as little overlapping as possible
- Re-spray the tops of the vegetables with coconut or olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder, rosemary, and a little sea salt over the slices
- Roast in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until crispy. You may want to switch to broil for the last few minutes to get them extra crunchy.
You can eat these chips by themselves, use them to make nachos, or add a side dip of mashed avocado or guacamole to enjoy them with 🙂