My boyfriend and I (well more my boyfriend) are totally hooked on the cold brew coffee you can buy now at Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Recently we are running into the issue that it is constantly sold out and not to mention very expensive. So I did some research and found it is actually very easy to make, just a little time consuming and tedious. We have made a few batches now and it is AWESOME. Tastes just like it would if you had bought it and maybe even a little better…
Here is the recipe and instructions we use (we actually double this recipe since we go through it so often): All you need is some coffee, water, a jar/pitcher to put it all in, and a fine mesh strainer (coffee filter). This is going to make a coffee concentrate that you might want to dilute with water when it’s time to drink it. It’s easier and more efficient, space-wise, to make a concentrate so you don’t have to keep a huge pitcher in your fridge. You just keep this small jar and pour your cup with the desired amount of concentrate coffee, then fill the rest with water and ice when you’re ready.
1 and 1/3 cups ground coffee
4 cups water (cold or room temp)
Jar or pitcher
Fine mesh strainer( Coffee Filter)
1. Place coffee in jar or pitcher and pour water over top.
2. Stir to combine, let sit for 15 minutes and stir one more time.
3. Seal and let sit for at least 8 hours but preferably 12-14 hours at room temperature.
4. Pour mixture over a strainer in to a bowl/pitcher or jar.
6. Let it sit in the fridgerator for a few hours to get cold and you are done! Cold brew coffee concentrate. 4 cups of concentrate will make about 8 cups of iced coffee. This will last up to a week in the fridge.